Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Make Me Laugh!!

There's a pattern Jim, nanapow, and I started to notice in the past week where after the sun goes down, I start feeling very overwhelmed and scared about parenthood. I worry about how I'm going to screw up, not be good enough, fail, etc. I cry. Jim reassures me that it's hormonal and that soon I will be having all sorts of fun with our little boy---that it gets easier. I'm really okay most of the day, so please don't worry too much! I am taking good care of Seamus, feeding him and cuddling him and making sure he's comfie. Also, Jim and I discussed post partum depression before Seamus was born, and Jim promised to keep an eye on me for any troubling signs. So far, so good.

Last night, Jim called Midwife Karen, who assured me that I'm completely normal and that saying, "What the hell was I thinking when I decided to have a baby?" is also quite common (I've only actually said this once!). She suggested I get out of the apartment once a day without Seamus and just "go buy some socks or something." So today, I showered, fed Seamus, got him nice and sleepy, and handed him off to Daddy and then took a walk to CVS where I got some magazines and a mindless Sue Grafton novel (S is for Silence! EEK!) to keep me occupied today while Jim goes to work for a 1/2 day. It's my first time completely alone!

It would also help if you could make me laugh. Call, write, post --- do whatever you gotta do. Tell me something funny. I believe a good belly laugh goes a long way.

(Posted by Greta on Jim's account...can't figure out my login anymore!)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greta, dear little MamaBear, I am bad at jokes (but you can turn to Frank or Jude!)...however, I have a suggestion that might be helpful. Get out a Dr. Seuss book and read it out loud to Seamus. There is nothing funner!

Must dash, sorry,
Sending love and hugs,
Auntie Teri

Anonymous said...

On the bulletin board at Penguin, along with all unintentionally amusing letters from crazy people, was a note from a Sue Grafton reader.

It was on one of those quarter-sheet folded notecards with just the woman's name in pink printed centered on the front and then inside were just like two handwritten sentences--the first suggesting a title for a future Sue Grafton novel (V is for Victim or something?), and then the second said: "On second thought, I'm sure Ms. Grafton prefers to think of her titles herself." And then just the signature.

And then they still bothered to address and stamp and mail it.

ROCKWITZ said...

I fondly recall after my little Maddie came home-What the hell was I thinking when I decided to have a baby? I sat in my chair and cried-it passed very quickly. All very natural what you are experiencing.
Hang in there...
Make sure you get out of the house for 10 minutes or so to just get some fresh air-it is amazing how good you feel when you come back in the house

Uncle Rocky

juliedrys said...

My favorite joke:

Knock-Knock.

Who's there?

The interrupting cow.

The interrup --

MOOOO!

(It's much funnier out loud. Have Jim try it on you. Or Granny Franny, who loves cows.)

jimma said...

And there's always the interrupting starfish.

Anonymous said...

Okay - so, since I'm in court all day these days - there does't seem to be anything funny about that world - but, since we have to find something funny, me and my fellow diversion folk like to make fun of the marshalls. They are oh so serious about their job - they get to say to all the people collected in court: 'stop chewing gum', 'take off your hat', 'stop talking.' and stuff like that. Well, today the really, really serious marshall got to jump out of the box and say really cool stuff like 'get your hands off her or take her home' - to a couple who were snuggling in court (gotta love that) and then the funniest was when a guy stood up to put his belt back on (they make people take off all kinds of dangerous stuff like belts before they enter the court house) - anyway, he just stood up to take the belt off and the marshall (Robbie is his name) bellowed out 'sit down, stop that, what do you think this is a fashion show?' We had to suppress our laughter like girls in church.
Did that work? ;) Bizzer tickling you under your chin and reassuring you that, yes - all you are feeling is natural - not easy - but, very natural.

jimma said...

thanks, everyone!!

greta

Heidi said...

Greta!
I do remember one day after Charlie was born actually thinking to myself that we would have to give him up for adoption! (for real- those post partum days......) Three years later, I peek in on him every night to watch him blissfully sleeping in his bed. I could watch him for hours. He now sleeps for over 12 hours at a time and all is much better with the world.
xoxoxoxoxoxox

STAN68 said...

At a certain point I started meeting up with other new moms during the day. Can't remember when I started going-maybe at around a month. It was really low-key, mostly just sitting around the local coffee lounge with the babies snoozing on us or nursing. Everyone was a mess at that point, lumpy, disheveled, exhausted and a little overwhelmed so it was really nice to just hang out and keep eachother company. It was also a good way to practice getting out of the house with the baby on my own and breastfeeding in public. Both daunting.

I am NanaBanana said...

OMG!
I LOVE YOU ALL!
(sniff, sniff, pass the tissue)
...for doing such a smash up job of making MY LITTLE Greta smile.
This is THE VILLAGE that will help her raise her little muchkin.

One thing I can say about you Greta...
you never give up...
WARRIOR WOMAN for sure!

And PapaBear...YOU ROCK!

:o)

Anonymous said...

Another thought - along the same lines of 'giving Charlie up for adopton' and meeting with other moms. I recall nursing Dylan in the first month of his life and looking at him and thinking - 'you are so vunerable and need me so much - I hope, hope, hope I will do right by you.' I was alone - and it felt scary and important. Just as I thought this, he seemed to smile back at me - stare at me with what i chose to interpret as gratitude and humor. I got it - he was saying - 'I chose you because I knew you would love me just the way I needed to be loved - lighten up, you'll do fine.' I decided he was right and set about trusting myself - why not, this amazingly beautiful boy had chosen me!
I also had a pal who had her baby just 2 months after I had Dylan and I would trek down to her house once a week and hang for the day. It was my salvation. I do think that our culture does not easily support the staying at home baby time. We need more back yards or front stoops or living rooms to gather in during those early days. so, I say YES to the hanging with other mom's idea. It is magical medicine - community heals.
Sending you major hugs and kisses, Bizzer

Matthew said...

Let Soul Brother #1 help you out of the doldrums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiXFiOJm05M

Hang in there, babe. It can be a rough slog for some while but the clouds will blow away! Seamus rocketh.

jimma said...

This Mexican clown wants to make you laugh.

jimma said...

The "Wayne Brady is crazy" sketch from Chapelle's Show makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it.

juliedrys said...

Greta,

Try this:
www.cuteoverload.com

Anonymous said...

greta,
hope your second day went well. you are in our thoughts and prayers.
we love you!
-evelin