Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Factory


Last week, we visited our local hospital for a tour of their Maternity Center. We were excited to see it -- the place where Mango would be born! This is Dr. Wong's hospital, and he had told us that the center had been renovated just a few years ago.

When we arrived, we stood around in a hallway near the nurse's station, waiting for our tour guide. The hallway was lined with small patients' rooms [note: the rooms are small, not the patients, wiseacres], each shared by two mothers. NY Downtown is Chinatown's hospital, so all of the names posted by the doors were Chinese (I wonder where the rich white people from Battery Park City go). Oddly, though, we couldn't hear any babies.

After a while, we were told to go down to the end of the hallway and through some doors to the actual Maternity Center -- we'd actually been standing in the maternity ward. Our tour guide met us there and showed us a "birthing suite", which featured a crappy tile floor, an uncomfortable-looking foam fold-out couch for the father, a huge hospital bed, and lots of hulking medical equipment.

"How long do we get to stay in here?" I asked.

"You have to stay in the hospital for 48 hours after the birth," the nurse said. "You can stay in your maternity suite the whole time, unless we need the room ... if that happens, we'll move you to a room in the maternity ward as soon as your wife and the baby are stable."

"And what are the odds of that happening?" I said.

"Well -- it's been very busy lately ..."

"Can I get up and walk around during the labor?" Greta asked. The nurse looked at her like she had three heads. "Get up and walk around? Sure, if you aren't wearing the fetal monitor. We can't get an accurate reading off of the monitor if you're walking around."

"For how much of the time do most people wear the monitor?" said Greta.

"Most of the time," said the nurse.

Next we took a look at the nursery, where we saw a couple of babies in incubators, and a whole bunch of babies in the regular nursery. This solved the mystery of the quiet maternity ward hallway: apparently, few if any of those women had their babies with them.

The whole tour took less than twenty minutes. We left very dispirited -- or perhaps "horrified" is nearer the truth. We had hoped that the maternity center would be as nice as the one at St Luke's-Roosevelt, where Rowan was born. Instead, we saw a cold, hospital-like environment with strong suggestions of a pro-intervention, anti-natural-childbirth approach. (And no spiffy family-sized jacuzzis like at St Luke's.)

As you may be aware, the management of childbirth has been a political issue for a long time, at least for feminist/leftist/hippie-ish types. The most prominent current spokesperson for the hippie perspective is Ina May Gaskin, one of the founders of the Tennessee commune "The Farm". I'm currently reading her book Ina May's Guide To Childbirth. In brief, Ina May's position is that birth is overly medicalized -- that the relentless focus on intervening in labor with modern medical techniques to avoid problems is a "cure worse than the disease." The common approach to childbirth, she argues, is great for the very small percentage of women who do encounter serious problems during labor, but for the vast majority, it tends to lead to unnecessary procedures, such as inducing and c-sections.

The statistics from The Farm's midwifery program (and by the way, I love the fact that "midwifery" is pronounced as if it had two f's -- very Chaucerian) rather strongly support her argument. Their caesarian rate is only 1.4 percent! Every hospital in Manhattan has a c-section rate of over 20% (except, remarkably, New York Downtown, which is only 14% ... one of the reasons why we had expected to get a much better impression of their maternity center than we did).

Gaskin also believes that birth can be a joyous (though painful and arduous) and spiritual experience, and that this will usually occur naturally if a birth is managed by experienced midwives in an atmosphere of love and respect. As a lapsed Catholic boy, I am intrigued by the idea that birth can be a sacrament. Even us secular types need sacraments, I believe.

So ... we could try other hospitals, and we may wind up doing that, but this tour experience has pushed us more towards the Ina May philosophy, which holds that babies and mothers are both better off if birth takes place at home, attended by a midwife.

Of course, my primary concern is the safety of my wife and son ... a birth lasts only a day (one hopes), while a child is a whole lifetime. Also, pretty much every mother I've ever known, including my dear mother, has had "medicalized" deliveries, and the result has been healthy mothers and children. If we have to, I'm sure we can suck it up and deal with the New York Downtown Hospital Maternity Center experience. But if there's a better, less traumatic and more meaningful, way to bring Mango into the world, I want to explore it. And so ... tomorrow evening, we are meeting with a midwife who specializes in homebirth. She's been an R.N. for over thirty years, and a midwife for more than a decade. We will provide a full report! (I think it's Greta's turn.)

8 comments:

I am NanaBanana said...

Let me be the first to say...
TOWANDA!
This Nana is able and ready to help with said home birth. EEK!
Listen kids...This nana had her babies in the hospital in the mid 60's (if only I had known about "the" farm!) and the entire labor... all done sans any pain meds, monitors, etc. It was very very doable. If only they had not put me 'out' for the best part.. Greta's entry! 'Sup with that?
I totally support any decision you elfie "rents" make as to how our little Mango enters this world.
In the dorky way I think...
I am "Jiggy" with it.
Love you both...
NanaBanana ;- )

juliedrys said...

I say take a good hard look at the whole home birthing option. It might be much less stressful.

Also if you give birth at home Jim could then blog us all through the whole experience! Just please, no webcams...

gretablau said...

Live webcam birthing!!

Anonymous said...

Auntie Teri reads all this with some distress! For this important, difficult, and amazing moment in your lives, you need and deserve to feel okay about the place of birth.

Is there yet another option? You love your doc; ask him???

Anonymous said...

Holy maternity, elves! That hospital sounds like Med-lam! Please talk to Souffle, she really researched the beejabers out of this stuff before Rowie was born, and that's why she chose St. Luke's -- and the combination of medical and spiritual succor it offered -- even though it was a helluva walk (well, taxi ride) from Hoboken.
Let's be frank here: St. Luke's is right across the street from the home base of my dear Paulist priests, and I can have a bunch of them radiating prayers your way during the entire procedure....

jimma said...

Hey Dom,

Howdy!

Well, homebirth isn't an all-or-nothing option -- homebirth midwives routinely send their patients to the nearest hospital when they encounter complications that they can't handle. I imagine that a homebirth midwife would have done that in your case.

It's quite safe, really! To a certain extent, that's because of the "transport to hospital" option mentioned above, but at least one study adjusted for that and found that homebirth was still safer than hospital birth:

--
When PMRs were standardized based on age, parity, hypertension/toxemia, prenatal risk prediction score, method of delivery and birth weight, adjusted hospital PMRs for each category ranged from 22.7 per 1000 to 27.8 per 1000 while homebirth/GPU rates ranged from 5.4 per 1000 to 10.5 per 1000.
--

(PMR = "perinatal mortality rate", the rate of infant death during childbirth).

Greta & Mango's safety is my primary focus, and if there's any indication that homebirth won't be safe for them, we won't do it ... however, at this point I believe that it will actually be safer for them to be at home.

It's a hard thing to get one's mind around ... seems to fly in the face of common sense ... sounds like something that dirty hippies would to do to "stick it to the man" ... but the statistics on homebirths (the ones attended by licensed midwives, that is) are highly persuasive.

Greta will post details of our meeting on Monday night with Valeriana, the midwife who was recommended to us ... right, Greta??

jimma said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: it's not so much the niceness of homebirth that draws me to it, but the avoiding of unnecessary procedures ... people get their water broken for them, get Pitocin, etc. at a much higher rate than is actually necessary ... one can hypothesize that the aggressiveness with which medical intervention is pursued in hospital childbirths is a major source of the discrepancy between the safety of hospital vs. homebirths found in studies.

If I'm injured, I want aggressive medical intervention ... not necessarily if I'm just giving birth. (Excepting situations like yours ... if something like that happens, I do expect to be taking Greta to the hospital immediately.)

gretablau said...

Research is my middle name!

St. Luke's can be a back up if we have to be transferred to a hospital birth well before the baby comes out. But the homebirth isn't just about the event (I like this better than the word procedure) itself. It's also about the first few days of Mango's life. We want them to be at home.

I know it might sound like a lot of what WE want for ourselves, but really we think this is the best thing we can do as parents for the little mite.